Study In Canada After 12th: Top Courses, Eligibility Criteria, Admission Process & Student Permit

Study in Canada after 12th UG Courses

Undergraduate degrees in Canada can last for 3-4 years, depending on the university and courses. There are different types of institutes of higher education in Canada like:

  • Universities These carry out research and provide both undergraduate and postgraduate degrees.
  • Community/Technical/Applied Arts/Applied Science Colleges These grant certificates, diplomas, associates degrees and bachelors degrees.

Universities in Canada are managed by the provincial governments and as such, they have slight differences in the way they carry out their programs. Quebec is particularly unique in terms of the timing of semesters and the length of study.

The following is a list of some of the most popular courses in Canada for undergraduate students:

  • Management Courses
    • BBA (HR Management)
    • BBA (Finance)
    • BBA (Marketing)
    • BBA (Retail Management)
    • BBA (Accounting)
  • Engineering and Technology Courses (BE or B.Eng.)
    • Mechanical Engineering
    • Civil Engineering
    • Chemical Engineering
    • Electrical Engineering
    • Computer Engineering
  • Science Courses (B.Sc. or BS)
    • Biology
    • Physics
    • Mathematics
    • Chemistry
  • Commerce Courses (B. Com)
  • Accounting
  • Digital Marketing
  • HR Management
  • General Management
  • Design Courses
    • Bachelor of Environmental Planning and Design
    • Bachelor of Interior Design

Study in Canada after 12th Application and Admission Process

In Canada, applications and admissions are handled individually by the university you apply to and the process is generally straightforward. As such, it is important for students to visit the website of the university they are interested in and ensure that they meet all the admission requirements listed there.

Some of the most common documents required during the application process are:

  • Relevant school completion proof
  • Academic transcripts
  • Language proficiency results (TOEFL, IELTS etc.)
  • Statement of Intent/Purpose
  • Letters of reference (where applicable)
  • Evidence of extra-curricular/athletic/community service activities (where applicable)

International students should also be aware of DLIs or Designated Learning Institutes. These are schools that are approved by the government to offer enrolment to international students. DLIs are recognized as legitimate institutes of higher education and you will need an acceptance letter from a DLI when you apply for a study permit. You can search this list to find the institutions that have been recognized as DLIs.

Study in Canada after 12th Study Permit and Visa Information

The most important document before an international student arrives in Canada is a study permit. Some things you need to know about the study permit are:

  • You must apply for a study permit if you are coming to study in Canada for a course that lasts longer than 6 months.
  • Before you can apply for a study permit, you need to have a letter of acceptance from an institute of higher education that is on the DLI list.
  • You also need a valid passport or travel document prior to applying for a study permit.
  • You must apply for a study permit as soon as you secure a letter of acceptance from a DLI, as it might take 3 months or more to secure the study permit, depending on the country of your origin.
  • If you need to take preparatory courses before you are accepted into your program, your study permit will only be applicable for the duration of those courses. Once you secure your acceptance letter, you will need to apply for a study permit extension.
  • Online
  • Through a paper application sent by mail which can be acquired from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website.

As an international student who has been granted a study permit, you must:

  • Maintain enrolment at a designated learning institution
  • Make progress towards finishing your study program
  • Respect the conditions listed in your study permit
  • Stop studying if you no longer meet the requirements
  • Leave Canada when your permit expires

If your course duration is less than 6 months, youll need to apply for one of the following visas as an international student:

  • Travel visa in your passport
  • ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization)


  • There might be requirements for submission of biometric data when applying for a study permit. If required, you will have to visit a VAC or visa application centre near you to submit the biometric data. Also note that if biometric data is required, you will not be able to submit your study permit application by mail and will have to do it in person.
  • Canada also recently introduced the Student Direct Stream program, in which students from India, China and the Philippines or Vietnam can apply in order to get their study permit faster. The requirements are the same as a regular study permit, with the exception of language requirements:
    • Score of at least 6 in IELTS
    • Score of at least 7 in Niveaux Competnce Linguistique Canadiens for French
    • Graduation from a Canadian-curriculum high school

Study in Canada after 12th Financial Requirements

Tuition fees in Canada are generally less expensive compared to other popular study abroad destinations like USA, UK and Australia, however they are still significant. Prospective students can utilize an online tool provided by the Council of Ministers of Education, Canada (CMEC) to calculate the costs of studying at different universities in Canada. This will allow you to get an idea of the financial requirements as well as information regarding the documents needed to apply. The tool can be found here.

Universities in Canada set their own fees and these vary depending on factors like the course you are pursuing and whether you are studying at the undergraduate or postgraduate levels. According to the latest report from Statistics Canada, tuition fees in Canada rose by 7.6% for international undergraduates in 2019/2020. The following list breaks down the average tuition fees for undergraduate students:

  • Humanities CAD 5,542
  • Medicine CAD 14,162
  • Business and Management CAD 6,827

The Canadian student visa requirements also say that you must have at least CAD 10,000 on top of your tuition fees as living expenses. This however will vary depending upon your location and spending habits, with metropolitan areas generally being more expensive. Given below are average living expenses in major cities:

  • Montreal CAD 14,700 per year (inclusive of accommodation and utilities)
  • Vancouver CAD 15,500 per year (inclusive of accommodation and utilities)